The Network

The Network
This blog is no longer updated. Please click the picture to hop across to The Network

Saturday, August 06, 2005

ENMESHING US ALL IN DUBIOUS BATTLES


It seems that the religious right in the US have discovered the concept of "intelligent design" and are using it to promote their views on creation from a literal biblical interpretation. I usually refuse to enter into debate on creationism and interpretations of the prophecies in the Book of Revelation. I refuse because I regard such debates of little relevance. Generally, they produce more heat than light and people who propagate a literal creation dogma or their own interpretation of Biblical prophecy don't want to look intelligently at another point of view, another angle.

Now this co-option of the term "intelligent design" puzzles me. Someone might enlighten me - but from my place on the mountain top it looks like - at long last - someone in the creation science brigade has read a book. Coz what's new about the concept of intelligent design? I thought that it was at least as old as Nicolas Copernicus. Since when has the Christian church taught anything else? I will have to brush up on some reading though from what Professor Graeme Clark has to say. Professor Clark refers to William A Dembski's book - so it's on the reading list.

But when everyone is putting a lot of time, money and energy into this crusade (or jihad?), I would like to remind them of post Planet Earth final exam questions. Yes we have the questions for this exam before we have to answer the questions. This is what it is all about.