The Network

The Network
This blog is no longer updated. Please click the picture to hop across to The Network

Saturday, August 27, 2005

The Movement to canonize Michael Leunig

Muslim, Hindu, Chinese, African and Australian values

Now he won't like this - I know he won't. But I can't help it. It's been a long time comin' and out it will. I hereby launch to-day The Movement to canonize Michael Leunig. St Michael Leunig of the Pen that is mightier than the Sword. That's him. That's the new moniker.

In a world that has so many sectors spinning out of my understanding (I never did have much, if any, control), Michael Leunig is a shaft of God-given light penetrating a world which is losing colour at approximately the same speed as it gains chaos. At a time when OzPol is becoming strident, triumphal, and hell-bent on marginalization, Leunig gives us the alternative story.

I have heard that, historically, it was possible to declare a Saint by acclamation (bypassing the two miracles status) - so let's hear it for St Michael. Let's give him a golden halo around those greying curls. And when the iconographies are written and painted - please remember: he comes with a duck.