- Christmas consumes vast resources in the dubious and uncharitable activity of "forced giving."
- Christmas increases congestion.
- Christmas destroys the environment and innocent animals and birds.
- Christmas leads to a sharp rise in absenteeism and a slump in labor productivity that is unlikely to be recaptured the rest of the year.
- Far from being "the season to be jolly," Christmas is really the season of sadness and despair.
- Christmas is one of the most hazardous times of the year.
- Excessive eating and drinking are used to compensate for the tribulations of Christmas.
- Perhaps most important of all, from a purely distributional standpoint, Christmas almost certainly aggravates inequality
- If we celebrate this holiday at all, we should do so mainly because it is over for at least one more year.
Friday, December 29, 2006
Monday, December 25, 2006
A Big Aussie Thank You
Who Have Visited
Please remember the reason for the season
and the government shall be upon his shoulder:
and his name shall be called
Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God,
The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and peace
there shall be no end,
upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom,
to order it, and to establish it
with judgment and with justice
from henceforth even for ever.
The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
(Isaiah 9:6-7, King James Version)
Thursday, December 21, 2006
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Noel Pearson on Palm Island
Ernie Dingo in Sydney
The people of Palm
The scene in Brisbane
And he tried to do that to-day!
Col Dillon says that Aboriginal people can't get justice in the Qld legal system
in The Australian
in The Sydney Morning Herald
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Sunday, December 17, 2006
Yesterday, Saturday 16 December 2006, Dr Philip Leslie Freier was installed and recognised as the tenth Archbishop of Melbourne in the Metropolitical and Cathedral Church of Saint Paul, Melbourne.
The emphasis of the liturgy was on the role of the shepherd, on justice, and on the Archbishop's background in Northern Australia.
To receive a file of photographs of the Installation, please email Miss Eagle (see the link on the side bar below the Ausflag symbol!).
Friday, December 15, 2006
That of Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley of the Queensland Police?
For more information on this matter, please see Miss Eagle's posts here and here.
Sunday, December 03, 2006
says [DavidHicks' military lawyer, Major Michael] Mori.
"Nor would it tolerate any politicians sacrificing some American citizen to the whim of a foreign country, regardless of whether they are our ally or not. It just doesn't happen."
Read more here
Send your messages to email@example.com
- Kevin Rudd and Wayne Swan went to the same school: Nambour State High School, Nambour
- Kevin Rudd and Bill Ludwig went to the same school: Marist Brothers, Ashgrove
- Bill Ludwing was in Canberra when the Keating-Hawke challenge became a reality and was in Canberra when the Rudd-Beazley challenge became a reality
- Should Rudd be elected as Leader of the Australian Labor Party he will be only the second Queenslander elected to this position. Frank Forde is the only other Queenslander to have led the ALP but he was not elected as Leader. Frank Forde was Deputy Leader under John Curtin and, at the death of Curtin in 1945, was Acting Prime Minister and Acting Leader of the of the ALP.
- Rudd is the name of a small fish, a widespread member of the family Cyprinidae. No way it will become a big fish but it has become a pest in a couple of countries.
- Rudd is the name of a strain of wheat noted as a dual-purpose feed wheat suitable for grazing by sheep or cattle and for grain production. Recently released by the CSIRO, it is resistant to the most serious diseases in the wheat belt.
Saturday, December 02, 2006
Enough is enough!
International Day of Action for David Hicks - Melbourne
2pm Saturday 9 December
Federation Square, Melbourne
Major Michael Mori, David Hicks' US lawyer
Rob Stary, civil libertarian and lawyer
David Hicks : Five years in hell : Close Guantanamo! Bring David Home!
Organised by Amnesty International, Liberty Victoria and Civil Rights Defence
Miss Eagle wonders about the over-statement of the Rudd-Gillard, Right-Left partnership as a Dream Team. However, Miss Eagle recalls that, after years of corrupt National Party government in Queensland, a major factor undergirding the successful ALP campaign which resulted in the election of Wayne Goss as Premier of Queensland 17 years ago to this very day on 2 December, 1989, was the partnership of right and left with the Australian Workers Union (AWU) and the Australian Metal Workers Union (AMWU).
This partnership shocked people - not least those within the ALP - and spelled the beginning of the end for Peter Beattie in his role as State Secretary of the Queensland ALP and meant some wilderness years for Beattie on his way to the Queensland Parliament, years on the backbench because of his rivalry with Goss, and now his success story as Queensland Premier. On this pragmatic tide, Wayne Swan - currently, Kim Beazley's Shadow Treasurer - became Qld State Secretary of the ALP. This was another rung on the Qld ALP's ladder of success. Without this right-left pragmatism, it is unlikely that Goss would have got to government and, almost certainly, not with the landslide success delivered to him in 1989.
This is something that Big Bill Ludwig, AWU heavyweight and powerbroker-kingpin in Queensland, should remember. Bill should remember in calling his factional Federal MPs to heel that he was unable to successfully call time in 1991 when Keating defeated Bob Hawke. Ludwig stuck doggedly to Hawke when the time for change had clearly come. Bill and his son, Senator Joe Ludwig, ought to remember this. Ludwig Senior and his AWU shearer mates in western Queensland stuck doggedly to Old Guard Labor tickets when Peter Beattie was reforming the ALP in Queensland in the early '80s and issuing reform tickets. Bill's mentality has not altered. Dogged loyalty can be an admirable thing but not to include yourself as a force of change and progress is not.