The Network

The Network
This blog is no longer updated. Please click the picture to hop across to The Network

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Over the hill - but am I employable?

Life has been full lately - and the blog has suffered. Apologies to those of you who have re-visited my site to find the same old same old. While I have been away from the blog a bit of a milestone has been achieved. One I thought would never occur ever again. I have been in paid employment - albeit as a temp.

I have not been an employee for nearly four years - due to ill health. Being out of action and, what some would consider, over the hill, made me think I would never see the inside of corporate Australia again. Then things in my family took some turns and I wanted to take the stress off a family member around whom much revolves. So into www.seek.com.au I went and made a few applications. Most did not get responses - but one came back. I tested and within a week they were back with a job offer of two weeks temp work. I didn't know if I'd make it. I thought I'd probably curl up for a nap at 2 o'clock or just keel over. None of this happened. My family promised to keep me vertical. This they did. At night, I would be so exhausted. This was not only the day's work but an hour's travel either side of the day. When I got to the end of two weeks without keeling over or curling up for a daily nap and people seemed to be happy with my work, I felt like I had climbed Everest. I was then a week without work and had another week last week. I am not working this week because I have a couple of doctors' appointments to attend to.

I enjoyed my workplaces. Each was interesting and full of nice people. The skills are still operable. It was great to be back in the CBD again - especially the Paris end of Collins Street. Please God, there will be more to come.