The Network

The Network
This blog is no longer updated. Please click the picture to hop across to The Network

Sunday, March 12, 2006

The F word - 2


Mata H at Time's Fool is challenging me/us once again. She brought to mind a poem I wrote ten years ago. Goes to show that forgiveness has given me plenty of food for thought over the years. Am I an unforgiving person? I wouldn't have thought so...but, ah, to see one's self as others see one. I think it is a spiritual hurdle just as Mata H points out. We expect so much in the way of forgiveness for ourselves, yet how much do we actually give. Anyway, here's my poetic thoughts on the subject.....

AS I FORGIVE

And forgive us…
As we also have forgiven
Matthew 6:12

Measure for measure..................................
The measure we give
Is the measure we get
How does the balance tip
What is the measure I am forgiven
What is the measure I give

Time for time...................................................
How much? How often?
The going out, the keeping in?
How does the balance tip?
Is seventy times seven more than enough
What more can be asked of us

Mercy for mercy............................................
We live for that imparted to us
But what do we give another?
How does the balance tip?
The hope of mercy given to us
Is the birthright of others too

Weight for weight..........................................
If forgiveness is small
So is our love.
This does the balance show.
For love to grow large,
Forgiveness must grow.
..................................So does the balance show.

© Brigid O’Carroll Walsh 1996